The 2021 Australian Grand Prix will not go ahead after the latest announcement from organisers.
Teams and drivers were prepared to head down under for the 21st round of the season on the previously rescheduled date of November 19-21.
In January, the race was shuffled from its usual date in March to November due to Victoria State’s Covid-19 quarantine requirements.
This morning, the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) took to their official social media account and said;
“We regret to announce that the 2021 #AusGP has been cancelled due to restrictions and logistical challenges relating to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.”
We regret to announce the #AusGP will drop from the 2021 calendar
We have a number of options to fill the place left vacant – which will be worked through in the coming weeks – but we are all sad to miss the fans in Australia this year#F1 pic.twitter.com/VPQmKDwYDW
— Formula 1 (@F1) July 6, 2021
Since they broke the news, a spokesperson for Formula 1 said that while they are disappointed this event can’t take place but they remain “confident we can deliver a 23-race season in 2021 and we have a number of options to take forward to replace the place left vacant by the Australian Grand Prix.
“We will be working through the details of those options in the coming weeks and will provide further updates once those discussions are concluded.”