In light of the current COVID-19 situation in Brazil, the potential for the scheduled Grand Prix in São Paulo to go ahead is dwindling.
The Brazilian race is scheduled two weeks ahead of the Australian GP in November, but with no signs of improvement in infection rates across the country, it’s likely to be axed from the calendar.
Speaking to Trevor Long from EFTM.com, Daniel Ricciardo suggested a double-header in Australia to replace the potentially abandoned race.
“I am aware of Brazil currently is not in a good place with COVID,” he said.
“I think, if we were scheduled to go there this weekend, then yeah, I’m pretty convinced it would be up in the air.
“For now, they’re kind of on the hope that by then things settle down, but if it’s still as it is then that that race could potentially be in question.
“They’re obviously keen on 23 races this year,” he added.
“A bit like last year, I’m sure there are maybe some circuits, call it, that could fill some gaps if some are lost.
“We’ll see – maybe a doubleheader in Australia!”
However, Australia poses its own difficulties for the teams, with current guidelines set out by the government requiring people to carry out a hotel quarantine on entry.
“If there is any, let’s say, a form of quarantine when we get there, to do a double-header at least would make the time worthwhile,” Ricciardo said.
“Hopefully we get a bit of time in Aus as opposed to quarantine.
“I know all the drivers love going to Melbourne for the race,” he added.
Whether or not the teams and drivers will take the battle to Brazil remains to be seen, with updates likely over the summer months.
As of April 25, Brazil has reported over 14 million cases of the virus, and more than 391,000 deaths.