The FIA has released a ten-point pledge that must be adhered to by all Russian and Belarusian drivers if they are to continue racing across all events including Formula 1.
In its driver pledge – which must be signed by any Russian and Belarusian licensed competitors – the FIA has drawn up a guide, which ensures that participating drivers in 2022 do not “display any Russian/Belarusian national symbols, colours or flags”, nor can they “express any support (direct or indirect) for the Russian and/or Belarusian activities in respect of Ukraine.”
While they cannot support the violent actions of Russia, there is no requirement for drivers to criticise Russia or Belarus’ actions.
The pledge simply states that they must “acknowledge the decisions of the World Motor Sport Council, where the FIA condemned the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the support provided by Belarus”.
Here’s the full pledge released by the FIA:
- I will comply with the decisions of the World Motor Sport Council of 1 March 2022. I understand that any refusal or failure to comply with those decisions will constitute a breach of Article 12.2.1.e of the FIA International Sporting Code, and may result in the imposition of a penalty or sanction under the International Sporting Code, the FIA Statutes, the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, and/or under any other applicable provision of the FIA rules and regulations.
- I acknowledge the strong commitment made by the FIA to stand in solidarity with the people of Ukraine, the Federation Automobile d’Ukraine, and all of those suffering as a result of the ongoing conflict.
- I acknowledge that I may only participate in Covered Events in an individual and neutral capacity, and not in any way as a representative of Russia or Belarus.
- I will not display any Russian/Belarusian national symbols, colours, or flags publicly or via social media.
- I will not display on my uniforms, clothing, accessories, or other personal items, or on my equipment or cars at any time in connection with my participation in Covered Events or otherwise in my capacity as a participant in Covered Events: × the Russian or Belarusian flag (current or historical); × any illustration of or reference to the Russian or Belarusian flag; × any national emblem or other national symbol of Russia/Belarus (e.g. coat of arms of Russia /double-headed eagle of Russia); × the words “Russian”, “Russia”, “Belarus”, “Belarusian”, “Russian Automobile Federation”, “Fédération de l’Automobile de Belarus” or the acronyms “RUS” or “RAF” or “BAF”, “FBA”, “BLR” in any language or format; or × the emblem of the Russian Automobile Federation (“RAF”) or “Fédération de l’Automobile de Belarus” (“FBA”/”BAF”).
- I acknowledge that no Russian/Belarusian national anthems will be played at Covered Events. I will not play or sing the Russian/Belarusian national anthem at any official event venue or other area controlled by the FIA or by the organiser or promoter of a Covered Event, or otherwise in connection with my participation in Covered Events or otherwise in my capacity as a participant in Covered Events.
- I will not make any statements or comments, take any actions, or conduct myself in a manner that is prejudicial to the interests of the FIA, any Competition, and/or motorsport generally. In particular, I will not express any support (direct or indirect) for the Russian and/or Belarusian activities in respect of Ukraine.
- I will comply at all times with: a. all FIA rules and regulations, circulars, guidelines, procedures, and other requirements, as amended from time to time; b. all decisions, rulings, and directions of the FIA; and c. any applicable sanctions regime.
- I acknowledge and accept that the FIA may implement further measures or issue further decisions in relation to my participation in Covered Events in light of the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, including the right to refuse me entry into or prevent me from participating in and/or attending any Covered Event. I will comply with any such further measures and decisions.
- I have read and understood the contents of this Driver Commitment and I acknowledge that it is legally binding upon me.