Last weekend, weather reports were back and forth with their predictions of rain, and after teams and drivers had prepared themselves for a soaked track on Sunday, forecasts proved wrong with not a drop in sight from lights out to chequered flag.
July 5’s race seems to be a different story, with Accuweather clearly stating that rain is due this Sunday – much to the delight of the Mercedes team.
Earlier this week, the chance of a downpour on Sunday sat at around 53% on Accuweather, however, today these chances have jumped to 83% with over 11mm of rain expected while the region is currently under an orange warning for thunderstorms.
Although last weekend proved that it’s extremely difficult to know exactly what weather is set to hit the region – much like the Irish weather – fans could be in for some treacherous entertainment at the Austrian Grand Prix.
According to reports, its unpredictable nature comes from where the track is located, which is subject to localized development of storms, depending on the level of humidity and moisture that persists around the area.
On Friday, Accuweather states that the chances of showers are at around 70% during FP1 that morning but gradually changes as the day goes on with 40% during FP2.
Then on Saturday, FP3 is set to be a dry session with chances of rain around 20%-30%, while the afternoon will see some light to medium showers, and possibly even more for the qualifying session – when chances of rain are around 50%.
For fans that love a race in the rain, Sunday looks extremely likely on Sunday with a 75% chance of rain.